Re: [ontolog-forum] Re Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 10:47:21 -0700

On Mar 28, 2010, at 11:37 AM, Kevin D Keck wrote:    (01)

The difference is that a text is simply , well, some text; a module is
some text with a built-in assumption that it is all about a restricted
(sub)universe. This means that all the quantifiers in the module text
are understood to be restricted to that sub-universe, and there is a
provision (the 'excludes' part) for saying that some names refer to
things outside that sub-universe.    (03)

As to representing context logic, you shouldn't use either of these.
You should introduce contexts as first-class entities and treat 'true
in a context' as a relationship between the context and a
*proposition*, which in CL is a zero-ary relation, and state your
truth conditions as sentences equivalent to those propositions. For
example    (04)

(ist C (and (P a)(Q b)))    (05)

would map to    (06)

(ist C (p))
(iff (p)(and (P a)(Q b)))    (07)

You will need a bit more syntax to handle quantifying in, but if you
think of that (p) as existentially quantified, you won't go far wrong.    (08)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (010)