Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic interoperability, DL's, Expressive Logics

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali.hashemi+ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:53:35 -0500
Hi Matthew,

John's note provided some very useful clarifications as to how model theory is applied to databases - database schemata can in many ways be viewed as ad hoc or less formal ontologies. Paying attention to model theory would help in better understanding how one's db relates to their ontology (or schema), not to mention it greatly facilitates updating, adding or removing fields, or querying for the types of questions John posted above.

Moreover, being familiar or at least knowing the basics of model theory aids in clarifying and understanding what I shared on the forum.

With respect to your query regarding ontology integration (or possibly alignment), the cases you outlined are similar to the work done by Euzenat (2008), where they define a correspondence structure and the following algebra of binary relations between ontologies:

Notably the relations are: equivalence, includes, included-in, overlaps and disjoint. One can also combine these to get 2^5 or 32 possible relations.

Most work in semantic mappings thus far have focused on only a subset of these and have been restricted to ontologies expressed in description logics (Ontology Alignment Evaluation Initiative, 2009).

By knowing which type of mapping exists between ontologies in terms of "relative interpretation, faithful interpretation, definably equivalent etc." one is filling in additional details as to how exactly one ontology is mapped into another. In a way, it extends the base vocabulary provided by Euzenat, and also specifies what is ensured in the alignment when messages are communicated between the ontologies. For example, faithful, relative and weak interpretations are types of subsumption or overlap between ontologies, but what can be derived / inferred / queried varies depending on which mapping (interpretation) holds between the ontologies.

So a relative interpretation is a type of  "<"  (i.e. O1 < O2), but the implications of the "<" are different than the "<" that arises from one being "weakly definable" in the other.

Again, the reason model theory is important here is as follows: Assume there are two ontologies and two corresponding databases, O1 - DB1 and O2 - DB2 - given a mapping pi, the ontologies might then exchange sentences or actual instance data (i.e. fragments of their model structure). Knowing how your axioms are interpreted, or correspond to the appropriate subset of the other ontology's database (or model structures) is quite important!

Cheers,
Ali

J Euzenat - Algebras of Ontology Alignment Relations - ISWC 2008.
J Euzenat et al -  Results of the Ontology Alignment Initiative 2009 - http://oaei.ontologymatching.org/2009/results/oaei2009.pdf