Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic interoperability, DL's, Expressive Logics a

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:06:38 -0000

Dear Ali,

Well I certainly agree with everything I understand here. A couple of answers and questions:

A question to consider --- when will we stop counting something as a primitive?

MW: My answer is when something can be defined wholly in terms of primitives and axioms.

MW: This looked interesting:

Now I know that I went through this really quickly. Some clarifications on terminology, when I say O1 mapped into entry Rep_O_2, *mapped* means one of (but not limited to):

  • Relative Interpretation
  • Faithful Interpretation
  • Definable Equivalence

MW: Could you explain the difference in English please, the definitions in the presentation did not help me that much?

MW: One of the things I don’t think you really allow for is one of the ways I see ontologies being developed. This is a more bottom up approach, where they are originally developed as a set of classes and relations with text definitions. This moves to say OWL which captures a little more of the meaning in a more formal way, and then perhaps later this is migrated to FOL. This at least seems to be the route that ISO 15926 is taking, and seems to me to be a natural way for an ontology to mature.

MW: I completely agree that nothing less than FOL is required for mapping between ontologies/theories. It’s just not possible with anything less capable for more than trivial cases. I see mappings between theories (e.g. the different ways of handling time) as being a critical part of what might be done here.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 560 302 3685

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.