[ontolog-forum] Defining UML in Common Logic

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ed-s@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:36:14 -0500
I have often said that UML diagrams could be defined in Common Logic,
and the OMG is actually doing that.  Following is the beta version of
Foundational UML (FUML) with definitions of the declarative parts of
UML in Common Logic and translations of the procedural parts to Java:    (01)

    http://www.omg.org/spec/FUML/1.0/Beta2/PDF    (02)

To see the CLIF translations, go to Chapter 10 Base Semantics, which
starts on page 275.    (03)

In various talks about Common Logic, I have said that UML diagrams could
be translated to CL, and I'm happy to see that people are doing that.    (04)

That is one more point in favor of using Common Logic as a lingua franca
for translations among different formalisms, especially for mappings
between the Semantic Web and other software technologies.    (05)

John Sowa    (06)