Re: [ontolog-forum] Fw: Context in a sentence

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: (•`'·.¸(`'·.¸(•)¸.·'´)¸.·'´•) .,., <asaegyn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:44:36 -0500
Hi John,

I should have been more specific in my language. When I spoke of significant updates, i was referring to the notion of an ontology interlingua as developed by the KSL lab in Stanford in the 1990's, which was essentially a library of disparate ontologies but not unified under a theme.

The updates I was referring to are in reference to that project. The lattice of theories you mentioned in your book bears significant similarities, but it differs in some respects as well. The theories / ontologies in COLORE do not constitute one single giant lattice. Unless I have misunderstood, whereas the lattice mentioned in your work consists of a single relation "logical extension," there are multiple links in COLORE: specifically representation theorems / definable interpretations etc. Thus, it is really a collection of lattices (where each lattice consists of "logical extension") connected to one another by a richer vocabulary / types of connections.

For example, in a Hasse diagram, lines represent a single relation; in contrast, for a diagrammed COLORE, there are multiple types of lines representing multiple types of relations between ontologies.

Incidentally, while we were developing the basic design of COLORE, I at least, was unaware of your work, and upon finding the idea of the lattice of theories -- it was very reassuring to know that the idea has legs!

All the best,

Ali