Re: [ontolog-forum] Field Review (Special Journal Issue?) - was Context

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali.hashemi+ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 01:30:08 -0500
Dear Peter,

Thank you kindly for your encouragement.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by operationalize, but here goes.

I unfortunately missed the boat with this idea for FOIS 2010 and perhaps the upcoming issue of AO (I became engaged in a number of immersive projects the past few months, one of which I look forward to sharing with ontolog when it is ready for deployment).

While it would be great to have such an effort go forward under the umbrella of an established journal, the incentive structure of attaining the requisite participation is outside the traditional "impact factor" publication stream. Moreover, walled knowledge is significantly less appealing than that which anyone can wander across, especially if the aim is to provide a benchmark of what there is in ontology at the moment.

Consequently, I wonder, what are the possibilities of a forum like ontolog supporting / publishing a one-off publication of such an issue? On-line only, if even?

As for getting participants, the immediate task is to get the word out and gauge interest in such an effort.

Since this is a one-off event, the structure of such a special issue would loosely mirror that of a conference. As the majority of the content of this issue is not focused necessarily with publishing novel research, but rather collating the work of research communities, a set of quality criteria ought be developed to ensure a standard of submission. What aspects of current / past research do we want to highlight? What are the overarching questions people are interested in having answered?

If there are volunteers to fill the "issue chair" and "program chairs" that would be superb. Otherwise, we also need volunteers to referee submissions for quality. A number of papers reviewing the field according to the perspectives of interests would be subject to standard peer-review quality criteria.

My seed suggestions were papers regarding: "Current Theoretical Issues",  "Current Applications" and "Current Tools /Languages." I am unsure if these categories are too broad, or if anyone feels comfortable tackling them. They are intended as starting points for discussion and we can refine these to article topics that volunteers would feel comfortable undertaking. Moreover, I am not suggesting that any single author can cover all  "Current Theoretical Issues", but that two, three or more such articles from authors well placed in the various schools of thought within ontology should provide the adequate breadth and cover.

So broadly, I would suggest at least two types of articles:
  1. This is who we are / what we do
    1. with special quality criteria developed (perhaps within ontolog)
  2. Review of issues of interest to cover the past X by volunteers (i.e. current theoretical, etc.)
    1. subject to standard peer review guidelines
The incentive I hope is clear cut enough that we will have volunteers, otherwise we might ask specific researchers to weigh in with their thoughts.

To reiterate, the purpose of such an endeavor is to provide the community with a sense of our achievements, a sort of benchmark to which we can look back in 5 - X years and see how we have progressed. Another corollary would be to bring forth and identify who is out there and what they are doing in a centralized resource, instead of the current state of affairs where contributions are distributed in sundry journals across multiple resources.

Any feedback / comments / criticisms would be extremely welcome.

Any volunteers for any of these positions would be even more welcome. I can devote significant time to this project as well.

Does this address the question of how to operationalize this idea? Is the rationale for this idea sound / agreeable? Is there something missing etc?

Sincerely,
Ali