Re: [ontolog-forum] new logic

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:36:06 -0500
Rob Freeman wrote:
> John and The List,
>
> Don't make it back to Ontolog much these days, but when I do there
> seem to be one or two good threads. Good to see. Among them one from
> late last year entitled "new logic" in which it seemed Paola was
> trying to generate some discussion on "limitations of logic" for
> knowledge representation (an expression subject to dispute in an
> earlier thread if I recall.)
>
> The thread never took off because Paola's presentation of the problem
> was disputed. In particular that:
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:59 AM, Paola Di Maio wrote:
>> JSowa, and others, say that there is only one type of logic, FOL
>
> The date is after Paola's, but perhaps what caused Paola to say this
> was something like the statement below:
>
> John Sowa Ontolog 11/21/09 wrote:
>
> "In fact, every program on every digital computer can be described in
> FOL.  Most aren't, but the machine itself and everything that runs on
> it can, in principle, be defined in FOL."
>
> This does seem a very strong statement.
>
> What do you mean by "described" here? Is it not true that a lot of
> what we might regard as "meaningful" about some programs, such as
> whether they will ever halt, will escape any such description?    (01)

Or, better yet, why say that "everything ... can ... be defined in FOL?"    (02)

This seems to restrict rather than advance discussion. And the rich
diversity of choices among logics reveals many of the key principles
that shape logics themselves.    (03)

Take for example the Heterogeneous Tool Kit that relates diverse logics
through institutions.    (04)

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agbkb/forschung/formal_methods/CoFI/hets/index_e.htm    (05)

There's even humor in one's choice of logic as exemplified in Philip
Wadler's papers on intuitionistic and linear logic.    (06)

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/papers/lineartaste/lineartaste.ps    (07)