Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologist Aptitude Test?

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:37:08 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

It seems to me you are deliberately twisting what I am saying.    (02)

There are at least 3 kinds of thing here which you are trying to insist are
only two:    (03)

1. Blue skies research.    (04)

2. Applied research.    (05)

3. Engineering.    (06)

I agree that it is pointless trying to direct blue skies research. You never
know where a key breakthrough is going to come from.    (07)

I agree that when you have a problem that you have the technology, methods
and techniques to apply, that producing a solution is engineering, not
research.    (08)

However, there is also a class of problem, where you know what the problem
is that you want to solve, but you do not have the methods, tools and
techniques to solve the problem. You then have to do research to find the
solutions. This is applied research. It is research because you do not know
the answer to the question, or how to work it out, and it is applied because
there is a specific question you are trying to find the answer to (not
necessarily the case with blue skies stuff).    (09)

Regards    (010)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (011)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (012)