Re: [ontolog-forum] if you cannot measure...

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 19:13:10 -0800

Gary, in the 80’s, project managers started using “earned value” estimates for completion of software projects because the “percent complete” method always reached 90% in just a tiny fraction of the development schedule!

All measurements are biased by the observer.  The above “earned value” method attempted to remove the bias by measuring how project completeness estimates compared to other previous project completeness estimates, then correlating the old “actual” with the estimated actual.

Previously, the managers had used the “percent complete” method, and quickly had red faces explaining to their customers how the project got 90% complete in two months of an 18 month schedule, but only crept up a percent or less a month after that.

Measurement is also subject to distortions of many psychological kinds, not just the positive thinking ones.  The AI guru’s just had unusual kinds of distortions.

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com