Re: [ontolog-forum] blogic iswc keynote

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 20:11:11 +0000
Rich,

>Hi Len,
>

>You wrote:
>

>Interestingly, if you take two difference RDB's and try to reason over both
>at the same time - you will find a lot of queries un-decidable.
>

>I don't follow your reasoning on this one.  Why would two RDBs have a
>different reasoning mechanism, situation description, or otherwise any
>difference at all between the two RDBs?  I am somehow missing your meaning
>and yet I think you have something important to say here.  Can you state it
>more clearly please?    (01)

There usually are some differences between models realized by each RDB - both
in terms of schema and data sets. So reasoning over two or more RDBs needs to
deal with reconciling the models. Putting aside the question of how you are
going to formulate the same query against two different models, the results
returned from each RDB may simply be incompatible, even after you define
semantic mapping (ie map the same situation to each RDB and interpret it
accordingly). This is a bit like "three body" problem in mechanics, only in
logic two models is enough to make reasoning intractable.       (02)