Re: [ontolog-forum] Just What Is an Ontology, Anyway?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Doug McDavid <dougmcdavid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:33:33 -0700
Thanks for the feedback, Azamat.  I think you have provided an insight into your primary meaning for ontology.  I specifically (for my understanding and meaning) say that it's the categories and not the description that uses the categories.  A commercial example is RosettaNet, where I claim that the codes to be used for transactions constitute a domain-specific ontology, but that orders and other transactions that use those codes are not themselves ontology.  I see that you think the orders themselves are in the category of what you mean when you use the word ontology.  So that's good to know, for conversation purposes.