Re: [ontolog-forum] End of the line for triple stores

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ra33@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:41:51 +1200 (NZST)
Hi Rich!    (01)

Thanks for good note:    (02)

> Rob, associative memory is memory retrieved by content matching instead of
> by addressing.  So "select * where a>27.3" is associative retrieval instead
> of running the array of 1 to a zillion triples to figure out which ones
> match the specified retrieval expression.  The difference is in the
> conceptual model rather than in the implementation, which may actually be
> the same one depending on the two designs.
> -Rich    (03)

Yes, agreed. Perhaps I misinterpreted John's remark, as I had interpreted him
to refer
to associative memory in the human brain (not associative memory in computers).
My
current belief is that associative memory in the brain works by content
matching (versus
addressing) and that the neuronal process the brain uses to perform that
matching is
'path-based', or more generally 'arrangement-based' (i.e., the arrangement of
the parts
of the content (whether visual, aural sequences, ...) do make a difference as
to what
the 'end point' association is made. (note: I'm just loosely coining term 'end
point' on
the fly).
Cheers,
    Rob    (04)