Re: [ontolog-forum] End of the line for triple stores

To: sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mills Davis <mdavis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:06:52 +0100
John F. Sowa wrote:
> Mills,
>
> Thanks for the note. I have sent notes to this forum and others
> saying that Google does not use RDF and triple stores.  This is
> the reason why:  they found a better way.
>
> There is a fundamental principle that Don Knuth and others
> emphasized over 40 years ago:
>
>    Premature optimization is the root of all evil.
>
> The strategy of using triples for RDF and OWL was based on
> the mistaken idea that a triple store is more efficient than
> a relational database or other notations.  But there are
> many publications on the WWW that show other representations
> that are more efficient.  But people didn't believe them.
> Perhaps articles like this will convince them.
>
> MD>This could be significant:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135726/Yale_researchers_create_data
> base_Hadoop_hybrid?taxonomyId=9
>
> Yes, indeed.  And that article points to others that discuss
> the issue further:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9121278/Google_claims_MapReduce_sets
> _data_sorting_record_topping_Yahoo_conventional_databases
>
> This article points out that the same technology was used to
> sort one terabyte of data in 68 seconds.
>
> And this example is just today's latest and greatest.  There is
> always somebody with a bright idea just around the corner who
> will find an even better algorithm.  The fundamental principle
> is that you should never distort your logical representation to
> fit a specific physical representation.  That was the basis for
> the ANSI/SPARC three-schema approach to databases in 1978, and
> it's just as sound today as it was then.
>
> John

John,    (01)

Please digest:    (02)

Virtuoso is an multi-model DBMS engine.    (03)

And when it comes to MapReduce we believe and can prove that the hybrid
approach is better.    (04)

MapReduce disregards DBMS technology innovations inappropriately, and
the Linked Data Web is how some of this will ultimately crystallize.    (05)

You **shouldn't**  need a data center the size of an airport to play
ball on the Web :-)    (06)

Links:    (07)

1. http://delicious.com/kidehen/virtuoso_whitepaper - Collection of
White Papers addressing these matters
2. http://delicious.com/kidehen/sparql_benchmark - SPARQL benchmarks
which show RDF Views over SQL as optimal when the Schema is "Closed
World" oriented.    (08)

>       (09)

--     (010)

Regards,    (011)