Re: [ontolog-forum] Danger of URIs in mission-critical applications

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 11:36:53 -0400
John F. Sowa wrote:
> Ken,
>
> I agree:
>
> KL> The URI is an identifier that "can" be dereferenced but may
>  > be sufficient in its uniqueness that actual access to the defining
>  > resource is very infrequent.  I need to know we are both referring
>  > to the same "gram" but I don't need to retrieve the definition to
>  > know what it is.
>
> For the past half-century, developers have emphasized the need for
> humanly readable identifiers.  But the typical URIs are so unreadable,
> that the development tools avoid exposing them to the users.
>
> Those tools do so by the same kinds of methods that have been used
> in programming languages:
>
>      Group names in Algol-like contexts to ensure uniqueness
>      without compromising human readability.
>
> My recommendation is to push the level of dereferencing to the
> level of a large context, which may include thousands of URIs.
> Inside that context, use the short, humanly readable names.
>
> This method does not eliminate URIs, but it reduces the number
> of points of exposure.  Furthermore, the entire context can be
> stored in a local cache behind firewalls.
>
> We still have to develop SURIs (Secure URIs).  But until they
> become available, we can reduce the security risks, improve
> efficiency, and shorten the names by grouping them in contexts.
>
> John

Isn't that how it is done now? Are we not just describing namespaces?
The only tricky bit is knowing when to refresh the cache. Most often, in
my line of work, that is a manual decision that is determined by my
choice of time to have my world disrupted by updated definitions.
Free updates of definitions are never really free.
For interoperability, one needs some version control and a way to judge
compatibility (upward is nice).    (01)

Ron