Re: [ontolog-forum] Danger of URIs in mission-critical applications

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 10:59:23 -0400
Ken,    (01)

I agree:    (02)

KL> The URI is an identifier that "can" be dereferenced but may
 > be sufficient in its uniqueness that actual access to the defining
 > resource is very infrequent.  I need to know we are both referring
 > to the same "gram" but I don't need to retrieve the definition to
 > know what it is.    (03)

For the past half-century, developers have emphasized the need for
humanly readable identifiers.  But the typical URIs are so unreadable,
that the development tools avoid exposing them to the users.    (04)

Those tools do so by the same kinds of methods that have been used
in programming languages:    (05)

     Group names in Algol-like contexts to ensure uniqueness
     without compromising human readability.    (06)

My recommendation is to push the level of dereferencing to the
level of a large context, which may include thousands of URIs.
Inside that context, use the short, humanly readable names.    (07)

This method does not eliminate URIs, but it reduces the number
of points of exposure.  Furthermore, the entire context can be
stored in a local cache behind firewalls.    (08)

We still have to develop SURIs (Secure URIs).  But until they
become available, we can reduce the security risks, improve
efficiency, and shorten the names by grouping them in contexts.    (09)