Re: [ontolog-forum] History of AI and Commercial Data Processing

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 19:04:04 -0400
John,
   Re: >>
[JS] > > AI is dominated by brilliant people who are totally out of touch
> with anything and everything that goes on in the field of commercial
> data processing.  There is no question that many of their ideas
> could, if properly implemented, revolutionize commercial systems.    (01)

  One of the possible components of the Foundation Ontology project that I
think should be included is an API that serves to enable global search over
any set of relational databases that have elements mapped to the FO.  This
is a capability advertised by Cyc and Ontology Works (and a few others with
which I am not familiar), but no one can actually try it out on any scale
without spending a few hundred+ kilobucks to hire the companies.  Having a
working ontology-based RBD integration system would, I expect, make a lot
more people interested in the potential for an ontology.  The FO project as
I envision it also includes development of an effective Natural Language
interface, but if adequate funding is not available, perhaps a smaller
project with just the RBD integration demo would be a useful start.  Using a
free public RDB like MySQL would allow preparing an integrated package that
could be downloaded and tested locally, with minimal effort.  Some sample
RDB's and example queries could demonstrate how federated query with
cross-DB inferencing could work.
   You have said on numerous occasions, and I agree, that it is important to
take legacy systems into consideration to encourage adoption of a new
technology.   This is one way to do it and still provide a basis for scale
up to the more demanding applications that could take full advantage of the
logical inferencing potential of an ontology.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416