Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantics of Natural Languages

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Black <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 14:16:39 -0400
John,    (01)

If you are correct in the following, and I tend to agree with it, and it
could be made better known, then much wasted text could be eliminated.    (02)

JFS> ...all of mathematics, including formal logic, is based on a subset
of the same semantics
 > we use in using ordinary language...    (03)

There are too many discussions of formal semantics in which someone
objects, "but you're leaving X out!", where X refers to some aspect of
natural language semantics. In fact, I've been that someone too many
times! Doh!  But I've also been on the other side, and felt that
"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." in support of
some elegant but limited formalism.    (04)

I came across something today that possibly adds an interesting twist to
this idea that formal is a subset of natural semantics or, at least,
that formal semantics uses a subset of the *mechanisms* people use in
speech semantics.  Researchers have found that Jazz musicians, while
improvising, use the same part of their brains, which includes Broca’s
area, they use when generating speech:
http://seedmagazine.com/content/article/creation_on_command/ , "The
scientists argue that expert musicians create new melodies by relying on
the same mental muscles used to create a sentence; every note is another
word." So perhaps not only mathematics and formal logic are based on a
subset of the mechanisms of NL semantics, but music may be too.    (05)

John Black
www.kashori.com    (06)