Re: [ontolog-forum] Goverment funding for private research?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 00:17:24 -0400
Len Yabloko wrote:
> Ron, thanks for advice
>

>> Given all of Ed's advice and suggestions, I can only add that you
>> probably will have more success partnering with an established company
>> for your first contract.
>>

> Can you suggest a scenario (or better yet- example) when established company
>would give someone "first contract"? The only contract I can think of is
>contract under which all your work becomes property of this company.

Established companies frequently have contract vehicles with government
clients that have needs. They need people who know how to address these
needs.    (01)

You will be in a much better position if you bring the client to the
established company. That is, you have found the government's notice and
have got a proposition that matches the government's criteria.    (02)

The client will own the work. What work do you need to retain ownership
of? Your knowledge and experience is yours to keep and you got paid for
the work.
If there is something that you want to retain a piece of, you can
negotiate that with the prime contractor.

>> After you have been the main researcher on a project, you will have a
>> better chance.
>>

> Again - I can't imagine main researcher on a project leave this position to
>start his company hoping to get smallish government grant as "first contract".

When you finish the project, your company may get asked to stay on (as a
subsidiary or a partner ) if another client has a project that you can do.
You have changed the scenario. If you are a company in collaboration
with another company, you are not an employee of the prime contractor.
>> The established company may also give you a good grounding on how to get
>> and to manage a government project.
>>

> What you are saying makes sense only if you remove "first contract". Then
>government grant can be an additional client and sales channel. First contract
>is usually a "catch 22".

I thought that we were talking about getting a first government contract
for research. You need to have some sort of track record or academic
qualification that would lead a larger company think that you can do the
work.