Re: [ontolog-forum] Goverment funding for private research?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:52:12 -0400
Len Yabloko wrote:
> I believe this topic may be of interest to some on this forum,
> especially those pursuing independent development of ontology
> applications. I am very interested to learn from experience others
> may have had trying to get non-academic funding for ontology-related
> research and development. What are the chances for independent early
> stage high risk project to get funded by something like SBIR or
> other government grants?    (01)

Having just reviewed a couple of SBIR proposals in the area, I can say
that the chances are fair.  But you need to watch for the announcements.    (02)

The NIST solicitation goes out in October/November and closes in March,
and the 2008 one had one or two ontology topics.  The National
Institutes of Health, the Department of Energy, and the Department of
Defense frequently post SBIR solicitations that are about knowledge
engineering, and they have a lot more money to grant, but I don't know
their schedules.  Many of the topics are very much domain-specific; some
are about converting existing formalizations in other modeling languages
into OWL or some other form that can be used by a reasoner; others are
about integrating reasoning technologies with other applications.  That
is, SBIRs tend to be application-oriented, where the challenge is to
mate knowledge engineering with the ugly realities of the existing
industrial solutions.    (03)

-Ed    (04)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                FAX: +1 301-975-4694    (05)

  and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (06)