Re: [ontolog-forum] cyclic and acyclic definitions

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 17:49:04 -0400
John,    (01)

We do all of our grammar definition work in SGML. I had
discussed it with Bill Tunnicliffe back in '87 when we
designed a web browser for tagged documents. We used the
same foundation grammar (AAP) as was later used for XML.    (02)

We like it because we believe in open architecture approaches
and SGML is the only ISO standard for metagrammars. The
parser is (or was) available at no charge from NIST and the
code produces a tree of the context free grammar. We use
other NIST code to read the tree also.    (03)

It provides for sequence of elements as well as defining if
there are 0+ or 1+ elements required. It allows entity definitions
and also allows floating entities. From the tree we can convert
to a number of other formats if desired. While it verifies context
free grammars I believe you can use the defined grammar to define
a context based grammar, but I'm only a tyro at linguistics.    (04)

-John Bottoms
  First Star Systems
  Concord, MA
  John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx