[ontolog-forum] beyond 'formal' relations: describing relations between

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Dennis - UT <dv.eprints@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 15:33:32 +0200
Hi,

We are currently working on a repository for OAI ORE resource maps (http://www.openarchives.org/ore/1.0/toc). In this system we are trying to describe relations between scientific publications and other material (both scientific and non-scientific). To do this we are planning to use several (RDF) vocabularies / ontologies.

A question is: how to cope with diversity in scientific disciplines and communication on the one hand and standardizing relation descriptions when aggregating publications about a certain topic? Vocabularies now available (FOAF, DCterms, etc) mainly restrict to formal relations and do not include relations concerning the content in a more detailed way than for instance 'dc:subject'. This may be the consequence of the diversity in scientific semantics. Is there any literature/article about this issue?

An example case is describing relations between scientific publications and their 'application'. For example: a publication proposes certain changes, government policy makers later decide to create actual policies based on this information. So far we didn’t find any existing solution to describe such relations. Suggestions on existing vocabularies to describe / annotate such relations are very welcome, thanks!

Kind regards,

Dennis
University of Twente