Re: [ontolog-forum] holonomy

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mehrnoosh Shamsfard <shams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:32:33 +0330 (IRST)
Hi,    (01)

homonymy is the relation between words which share their form (spelling
and/or pronunciation) but differ in meaning. we usually refer to homonymy
when we have different and totally irrelevant meanings for a word. So it
is different with synonymy as in synonymy the words share their meanings
but differ in their forms (orthography) for example the work 'bank' (a
financial institution) is a homonym for the word 'bank' (sloping mound)
and the word 'glad' is synonym to word 'happy', as they both have the same
meaning (at least in one of their senses).
there is also another relation called polysemy which is similar to
homonymy but polysemous words usually have different relevant meanings. in
other words according to jurafsky: "When two senses are related
semantically, we call the relationship between them polysemy rather than
homonymy."
I hope it helps.    (02)

Mehrnoush    (03)