Re: [ontolog-forum] intangibles

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:31:37 -0000

Dear Paola,

thanks for the pointers
>From this link I get a summary view of IDEAS and BORO's, at last
http://www.ideasgroup.org/file_download/3/MOD+Ontology.pdf

May I ask, how does it deal with intangible entities? (such as 'threat' or 'hostility' , for example)
Does it just ignore them , deny they exist, or does it always correlate an intangible to a tangible entity?
Admittedly there are things that you cant kick,  such as the wind

[MW] A threat is dealt with as a “possible action”. It is something that occurs in some possible world. So what you are talking about is not intangible in the sense that it is still a spatio-temporal extent. (this is mentioned in the paper I sent you).

Do uppen ontologies all have this characteristic of only modelling tangibles?

[MW] I would not think much of any upper ontology that did not support what you describe here as intangibles. The usual term for what you describe as intangibles is modality, which is how what is possible or could happen is treated. Possible Worlds (see “On the Plurality of Worlds” David Lewis) is one approach, and a natural fit with 4D, but not the only one.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 560 302 3685

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

thanks

Paola Dm