[ontolog-forum] New Book: "Narrative Information"

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: gian-piero.zarri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Gian Piero Zarri <zarri@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 22:24:42 +0100
Dear All,

With respect to the recent discussion about "binary/n-ary", this problem is dealt with in some depth in my recent "Narrative" book introduced below (pp. 14-22). Very in short, we all agree about the possibility of splitting n-ary structures into sets of binary structures. However, this formal separation does not alter at all the original n-ary character of a simple situation like "John gives a book to Mary". To infer something of interesting about this situation, we are then obliged to "stick back" together, in some way, the elements of our bag of binary entities in order to reconstruct the original n-ary unity. The (binary) W3C languages are unable to do this: this is why they are not very useful for dealing correctly with situations characterized by a minimum amount of semantic complexity - and this too is very well known. Regards, GPZ

NEW BOOK: Apologies for multiple postings.

Gian Piero ZARRI
Representation and Management of Narrative Information, Theoretical Principles and Implementation
Series: Advanced Information and Knowledge Processing
2009, X, 302 p. 55 illus., Hardcover
ISBN: 978-1-84800-077-3
Springer-Verlag London
http://www.springer.com/computer/artificial/book/978-1-84800-077-3

A big amount of important, economically relevant information, is buried within the huge mass of multimedia documents that correspond to some form of 'narrative' description.

Due to the ubiquity of these narrative resources, representing in a general, accurate, and effective way their semantic content - i.e., their key 'meaning' - is then both conceptually relevant and economically important. In this book, we present the main properties of NKRL ('Narrative Knowledge Representation Language'), a language expressly designed for representing and managing, in a standardised way, the 'meaning' of complex multimedia narrative documents. NKRL is also a fully implemented environment that exists in two versions: a relational database-supported version and a file-oriented one. It constitutes probably the most complete and realistic effort realised so far to deal with the huge industrial potentialities of the narrative domain.

Written from a multidisciplinary perspective, this book not only supplies an exhaustive description of NKRL and of the associated knowledge representation principles, it also constitutes a source of reference for practitioners, researchers and graduates in domains that range over narrative theories, linguistics and computational linguistics, artificial intelligence, knowledge bases, information retrieval, and languages for the ontologies and the semantic web.

Contents:

- Narratology and NKRL.
- The notion of 'event' in an NKRL context.
- Knowledge representation and NKRL.
- Architecture of NKRL, the four 'components'.
- Second order structures.
- The semantic and ontological contents.
- Ontology of 'concepts' and ontology of 'events'.
- The query and inference procedures.
- Temporal information and indexing.
- High-level inference procedures.
- Technological enhancements and theoretical enhancements.
- Appendix A: NKRL software.
- Appendix B: Plural entities in NKRL.

Professional address of the author from February 1st, 2009:

Gian Piero Zarri
University Paris-Est - LISSI Laboratory
120-122, rue Paul Armangot
94400 Vitry-sur-Seine