Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and Category Theory

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mitch Harris <maharri@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 15:08:49 -0500
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Len Yabloko <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>- If you're working with subsets, it feels extensional to me (rather
>>than rule based intensional).
>>
>>- I can see composing projections (as specialized subset operation) as
>>possibly a morphism, but its still kinda vague. Your specification of
>>projection is not well-defined enough to guarantee associativity (or I
>>just don't see it).
>>
>>- maybe you're thinking of a given poset as a particular category
>>where the elements of the poset are the category objects and the 'less
>>than or equal' relation is the morphism?
>
> Do you see now what I am thinking?    (01)

Not exactly. Is your question pragmatically intending an affirmative
to the above questions? I really think you should elaborate on what
you think your objects and morphisms are, especially with very
explicit examples. THen I might be able to more constructively say ' I
understand', or 'yes, you should go in this direction' or 'that
probably won't be very fruitful'. Right now it's pretty vague.    (02)

--
Mitchell A. Harris
Research Faculty (Instructor in Computer Science)