[ontolog-forum] Fwd: : Ontology and Category Theory

To: "Ontolog-forum" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:12:16 +0000
Ed,     (01)

[EB]>Rather than discussing the philosophical and theoretical significance of
>undefined terms, I would suggest that the proponents of Category Theory
>for knowledge engineering identify the aspect(s) of category theory for
>which they see a specific use in knowledge engineering.  Otherwise the
>discussion is pointless.    (02)

I agree.    (03)

>Now, to that end, Len Yabloko wrote:
>
>> There is no reliable way in classical Logic to establish and confirm
>> the identity of any object outside of specific context.
>
>There is no universal reference scheme for 'thing' in terms of
>properties.  The presumption of classical logic is that terms that
>denote 'things' in the UoD do just that.  The presumption that distinct
>terms denote different 'things' is an axiom, which a given theory may or
>may not include.    (04)

I think the usefulness of any theory depends on what it preserves. Obviously
axioms of any theory are preserved by that theory. Someone correctly pointed
that CT theory itself can be stated in classical Logic. But you would have to
create axioms for any property that you want to preserve, and such axioms may
not be shared by different theories. The difference in using CT is that certain
axioms, such as identity and associativity are universal.      (05)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_theory#Categories.2C_objects_and_morphisms    (07)

>But identity is an interesting problem in logical theories, and it is
>possible that this bit of the discussion is actually going somewhere.
>
>-Ed    (08)

The direction I would like it to go is actually back to the question of theory
grounding,
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=ontolog-forum&i=W6387019921190511211563886%40webmail31
 which I see as the law of identity preservation. I believe that in this sense
CT provides a natural framework for grounding.    (09)