[ontolog-forum] Proceedings: Emerging Ontology Showcase: kick-off sessio

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 00:40:47 -0700
We had, on Thursday 25-Sep-2008, a wonderful panel session that
kicked-off our new  "Emerging Ontology Showcase" mini-series. This
series is being co-championed by  Professor Ken Baclawski
(Northeastern University) and Mr. Mike Bennett (Hypercube Ltd., UK).    (01)

The session opened with Professor Baclawski giving an overview of this
mini-series. Among other things, he explained the criteria for
ontology work products to be featured in the series and solicited
members of the community to contact him and Mike to arrange to
showcase their new work.    (02)

Two recently released work were featured during the session. Mr.
MikeBennett (Hypercube Ltd., London UK) gave a talk on: "The EDM
Council Semantics Repository: Building global consensus for the
Financial Services Industry." That talk was followed by  Mr. Mike
Bergman (Zitgist LLC) who presented on: "UMBEL: A Lightweight Subject
Reference Structure for the Web."  Both talks were great and generated
an enthusiastic open discussion which ensued.    (03)

A huge "Thank You" should go to Ken Baclawski and Mike Bennett for
co-championing the mini-series, to our two featured speakers at the
session - Mike Bennett and Mike Bergman, and, as always, our
appreciations go out to all who joined us at the event; especially for
their contributions to the rich discussion during the last segment of
the session.    (04)

Full proceedings - including agenda, abstracts, slides, audio
recording and the transcript of the live chat session - have already
been captured to the session page on the OntologWiki.
See: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_09_25    (05)

The proceedings are contributing, again, to the Ontolog body of
knowledge that this community is collectively building. Let us hope
that this new mini-series will provide opportunities for community
members to give their new work exposure, and provide a setting for
ontology developers to exchange ideas, help improve quality, as well
as promote collaboration and convergence.  Thank you again, everyone!    (06)

Best regards. =ppy    (07)

Peter Yim,  Co-conveners, ONTOLOG
with
"Emerging Ontology Showcase" mini-series co-champions,
Ken Baclawski  &  Mike Bennett    (08)

P.S.  watch our [ontolog-invitation] list for further announcements of
upcoming sessions in this series and other Ontolog events that may be
of interest.
You may also browse the listing under the "News & Announcements"
section at our Ontolog WikiHomePage (at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW ) for our
upcoming events.    (09)

We invite you to also check out the archives of noteworthy past
Ontolog events. They are listed under:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (010)

Tx. =ppy
 --    (011)