Re: [ontolog-forum] Reality and semantics. [Was: Thing and Class]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:43:20 -0400
Pat,    (01)

These are important discussions regarding things like formal semantics and real
world semantics. So I'd like a bit more help here.    (02)

Concerning what the "Tarskian universe" is about I've seen write ups like the
one below from "Semantics for the WWW" Dieter Fensel1, Jim Hendler, Henry
Lieberman, and Wolfgang Wahlster.    (03)

" The most common classic formalism, also the most amenable to the use of
ontologies, is so-called
declarative or Tarski semantics as may be found in various places in the
database and AI
literature, as in Reiter's seminal paper [Reiter, 1988] or in the book
[Genesereth & Nilsson,
1987]. Essentially it replaces "reality" (the domain) by a conceptualization, a
mathematical
object that typically consists of very elementary constructs such as a set of
objects and of
(mathematical) relations. Semantics is then formally defined simply as an
interpretation
mapping from the system (or rather from the language describing a system
instance in some
syntax) to this conceptualization."    (04)

Do you find this consistent with your interpreation?    (05)

On Tarski's main example that snow is white, and he was talking about snow, not
a mathematical simalcrum of snow ("snow") there seem to be people who argue
that one needs something interpretive between the real and formal concept, as
in the paragraph below from Chapter 4 pg 80 (Truth Values) of Joseph Margolis'
A Conceptual Primer for the Turn of the Millennium/    (06)

disquotational theory of truth, I mean that theory that accepts as its paradigm
(disputatiously attributed to Tarski  the formula: 'Snow is white' is true if
and only if snow is white. To ascribe truth, it is said (notably by Quine, who
accepts the formulation), one merely "cancels the quotation marks." My own view
is that the disquotational theory is either utterly vacuous (in the form just
given), privileged (if taken as correct as far as it goes, as on Davidson's
reading of Tarski , or else flatly false (since, admitting intransparency, some
interpretive tertium will be needed). The objective of these strenuous (but
ineffectual) moves against the legitimation of truth (a fortiori, the
legitimation of truth-value assignments)-on which Quine and Davidson agree-is
simply to endorse what has come to be called "naturalizing."     (07)

Gary Berg-Cross    (08)