[ontolog-forum] Using ontology for documenting production units in proce

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:23:50 -0400
By some rather fortuitous timimg of events, I may have an opportunity to
extend the worlds understanding (at least the recorded part of it) of a
small part of the universe.
A potential client contacted us yesterday about building a "SimOps" (its
described on our website) for a chemical plant.
The realization that the baby boomers are starting to leave has set in
and they are starting to see the difference between education and
experience.    (01)

The old gray-haired farts that sat around all day with a relaxed look on
their faces are being replaced by much better educated kids who are
extremely focused.
The problem is that this focus may be the result of having to watch a
complex board and quickly understand what are interesting anomalies to
report to engineering at the end of the shift and which ones are good
occasions to pull the red handle and see if you can be the first guy a
safe distance off the premises. A safe distance is hard to judge when
you are not sure where the unit that is about to go off is located.    (02)

We have always done these projects as static and highly graphic
presentation of the knowledge surrounding a process unit or major piece
of critical equipment.
I think that a dynamic KB driven by an ontological base would be a much
more useful tool and something that could be more easily kept up to date
and more easily navigated.    (03)

Am I expecting too much from current technologies or are the frameworks
in place to allow a project like this to be put into production without
a lot of operational issues?    (04)

Developing the ontological framework is a big job but I think can be
tackled in small pieces if one is prepared to re-engineer previous work
each time one gets smarter.    (05)

The navigation and query tools seem pretty rudimentary and it seems to
me that the logic required to answer simple questions will have to
reside at the application level.
At the moment, from what I have seen, the systems are only capable of
answering complex question written in a query language that is as
unfriendly as SQL.    (06)

Has there been any work done in the industrial side (process control,
equipment specifications, etc.) that is similar to the GoodRelations work?    (07)

Am I going to get into more trouble than it is worth at this time? It is
the pioneers that get eaten by the bears but they do get first choice of
the best land if they survive.    (08)

Ron    (09)