Re: [ontolog-forum] History of the Atomic Hypothesis

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Александр Шкотин" <alex.shkotin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 10:10:03 +0400
For me an amazing thing is that different meanings of words was determined and put together in a defining dictionaries like http://www.merriam-webster.com/.
Formalization of this treasure is just a problem of time.

For "atom" M-W has 4 meanings: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atom

Most important thing in a skill of definition is that definition is algorithmic by nature:
you ask person - "What is this?". He applies his own algorithm and answes - "This is an atom."

And most amazing thing is that our algorithms are more or less the same;)

In a solid body we may speak only about nucleuses and a cloud of electrons.

If we think about "M-W:atom:1" today it is an "elementary particle".