Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology of signs

To: "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'SW-forum' <semantic-web@xxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:13:18 +0300
On Wednesday, July 16, 2008 11:39 AM, Bernard Vatant wrote:
> As said for quite a while, we need an ontology of signs. You can see a
first cut of it at http://www.lingvoj.org/semio.rdf Very early release
intended to attract feedback, criticisms and questions. Certainly too raw
for immediate consumption!    (01)

It is a very good topic, although my browser failed to open your RDF
document. But your slogan: ''Everything is a sign'' is too strong. In fact,
this crucial subject, a mostly significant issue for whole knowledge
technology as the semantic systems (1), was discussed some years ago.  After
testing the feel of the SW and OntoLog Forum communities, I posted the
outlines to Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign (the nature of
signs); http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_meaning (the nature of
meaning). To my surprise, it is still there, without corrupting:    (02)

''The nature of signs and symbols and significations, their definition,
elements, and types, is mainly established by Aristotle, Augustine, and
Aquinas. According to these classic sources, significance is a relationship
between two sorts of things: signs (the signifier) and the kinds of things
(the signified) they signify (intend, express or mean), where one term
necessarily causes something else to come to the mind. Distinguishing
natural signs and conventional signs, the traditional theory of signs sets
the following threefold partition of things:
  1.. There are things that are just things, not any sign at all;
  2.. There are things that are also signs of other things (as natural signs
of the physical world and mental signs of the mind);
  3.. There are things that are always signs, as languages (natural and
artificial) and other cultural nonverbal symbols, as documents, money,
ceremonies, and rites.
Thus there are things which may act as signs without any respect to the
human agent (the things of the external world, all sorts of indications,
evidences, symptoms, and physical signals), there are signs which are always
signs (the entities of the mind as ideas and images, thoughts and feelings,
constructs and intentions); and there are signs that have to get their
signification (as linguistic entities and cultural symbols). So, while
natural signs serve as the source of signification, the human mind is the
agency through which signs signify naturally occurring things, such as
objects, states, qualities, quantities, events, processes, or relationships.
Human language and discourse, communication, philosophy, science, logic,
mathematics, poetry, theology, religion (as well as SW technology) are only
some of fields of human study and activity where grasping the nature of
signs and symbols and patterns of signification may have a decisive value.''    (03)

Azamat Abdoullaev    (04)

(1)http://www.igi-global.com/books/details.asp?id=7641    (05)