Re: [ontolog-forum] ANN: myOntology Prototype Available

To: <semantic-web@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: martin.hepp@xxxxxxxxxx
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 21:49:20 +0300
On Tuesday, July 08, 2008 4:34 PM, Martin wrote:

>The basic idea is that all elements defined in myOntology are within the myOntology namespace - in fact, we assume that the whole set of elements is one huge single ontology.

Since we are close to create an open global knowledge base (covering both Wikipedia and Encylopedia Britannica) supported by the unifying ontology framework, I can readily share that to achieve this high aim, one first need to do a devil work: to develop the general structure (or framework) within which domain ontologies, taxonomies, models, catalogues, vocabularies, terminologies, etc. can be given the unifying knowledge organization. In the information sciences, this simple truth is as old as the following reference, www.mitteleuropafoundation.org/Papers/RP/Ontology%20for%20knowledge%20organization.pdf

> All ontology modules (e.g. the cell phone ontology) are actually just views (proper subsets). We hope to achieve this by a very lightweight meta-model, which we hope minimizes conflicts between ontology modules. So our approach is the direct opposite of attempts to contextualize the meaning of elements or what is being done in Cyc.>

[Up to now the term 'lightweight' has been associated with something having no importance or influence, like a ''lightweight intellect'']. Now wonder if the authors can go for more details about this intriguing '' very lightweight meta-model'', an addition (or alternative?) to the CYC ontology.

Thanks,
Azamat Abdoullaev
PS: expect this sudden discovery might be interested for the Ontolog-Forum as well.