Re: [ontolog-forum] How not to write specifications (VISTA costs)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sharma, Ravi" <Ravi.Sharma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 15:03:33 -0600

Ken

Apollo Program related direct reductions were not many.

Only one back up of Skylab and perhaps one or two of Actual Apollo flights were cancelled, but follow-on’s such as Apollo Soyuz, and Planning for Station and Tug were severely curtailed.

I agree with your comment on subsequent to Apollo 17 reductions. By the time last mission came with Apollo 17 the technical community was at a loss and the Nation was confronted with uninteresting goals as compared to our presence on the Moon.

You do not abandon a program only to return 40 years later to find if there is water on the permanently shadowed craters or the poles of the Moon and how hard it is to extract?

This haphazardness leads to loss of information and please look closely, they are now proposing configurations for lunar exploration that we could have achieved in the next 2 decades after Apollo, perhaps computer speeds are better now but the accuracy of software engineering is similar. In the meantime primarily the spirit but also the best practices are lost and resulted in both Shuttles being lost due to judgment errors (also due to hierarchy related fears).

Since the reductions were drastic, many of my colleagues were not fortunate, and worked in all types of jobs including department stores and what a loss to the Nation! Part of this was caused by Vietnam War related financial constraints. Sounds familiar! That is why energy sector is in doldrums as no long term view is persistent with any predictable outcome or likelihood of success.

The marketing window of Apollo is to be appreciated in the light of Russians being ahead of us in space, Bay of Pigs happened shortly before the Landing on Moon - Apollo Goal was Announced, and a spirit like of which it is hard to see these days. There is diminished respect or understanding of contribution of science and technology partly due to media occupying attention to irrelevant issues and events and becoming closed loop “information” sources thus leading our society to a long term challenge in as far as support of new technologies are concerned!

By the way, your introduction of stochastic aspects (uncertainty reasoning) to semantic field is praiseworthy.

Thanks.

Ravi

(Dr. Ravi Sharma) Senior Enterprise Architect

Vangent, Inc. Technology Excellence Center (TEC)

8618 Westwood Center Drive, Suite 310, Vienna VA 22182
(o) 703-827-0638, (c) 313-204-1740 www.vangent.com

Professional viewpoints do not necessarily imply organizational endorsement.