Re: [ontolog-forum] How not to write specifications (VISTA costs)

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 13:23:44 -0400
Couldn't resist this one:

On Jul 3, 2008, at 12:55 PM, Len Yabloko wrote:

Apollo was a 'mission' with clear target. No one (correct me if I am wrong) had a liberty to adjust it for market conditions or to move that target closer and make it more attainable.

Actually, Apollo served many purposes, some of which were constantly at odds.  It had an arbitrary deadline because it had to hit a marketing window.  As the visible success of a landing became more of a reality, there were more constraints put on budget and overall mission; resources were plentiful when something daring and impossible was being pursued and public excitement was a frenzy, but less so when it was following through on engineering.  Finally, after the landing was successful, the interest in exploration and science was not enough to keep consumer interest and several later flights were canceled.

It is easier to draw parallels with something like the iPhone (where new models come out to reignite the frenzy) than something as mundane as an operating system.

Ken

Ken Laskey

MITRE Corporation, M/S H305     phone:  703-983-7934

7515 Colshire Drive                        fax:        703-983-1379

McLean VA 22102-7508