Re: [ontolog-forum] How not to write specifications (VISTA costs)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 15:30:51 -0400
Gary,    (01)

Thanks for the data:    (02)

 > According to Steve Garber, the NASA History website curator,
 > the final cost of project Apollo was between $20 and $25.4
 > billion in 1969 Dollars (or approximately $135-billion in
 > 2005 Dollars).    (03)

 > Gates has said (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13812973/
 > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13812973/> ) Microsoft was investing
 > $8 billion to $9 billion in developing Vista and the company's
 > next version of Office, its key cash-generator.    (04)

So it's safe to say that Bill G. was exaggerating on the high
side in 2003, especially if the comparison is supposed to be
adjusted for inflation.    (05)

But it's not at all clear what the phrase "was investing $8 billion
to $9 billion" meant in 2006.  When did the period "investing in
Vista" begin?  Did it include all OS R & D from the time Windows/XP
was shipped?  Did it include everything that was spent on the system
called Longhorn?  Did it include what was spent after the claim in
2006, but before the actual release of Vista?    (06)

I don't think it's worth the effort to pin down these numbers
more precisely, but I could imagine that a detailed accounting
might find a few more billion here and there.    (07)