Re: [ontolog-forum] Data Models v. Ontologies (again)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:42:48 -0700

On 03/06/08 5:39 PM, "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> The notion that the meaning of words and reasoning ability grows from
> imagery based on remembered sensorimotor experience has gained some
> experimental support via Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI),
> reported recently by Tom Mitchell and Marcel Just Of Carnegie-Mellon:
>     http://www.cmu.edu/news/archive/2008/May/may29_brainmeaning.shtml    (02)

While I personally tend to agree with the direction, To be fair and
balanced, there are counter-arguments:    (03)

* ³While the mechanistic information provided by fMRI is limited relative to
classical techniques of electrophysiology and molecular biology, this is a
general criticism of systems-level biology based upon changes in metabolism,
blood supply, or ensemble indices of electrical activity. Most researchers
believe that both "bottom-up" and "top-down" measurements are needed to
inform our understanding of the complex mechanisms that transpose neural
activity into behavior.²    (04)

However - you used the word "experimental".  I would give anything to be
involved in that research.  <drool>    (05)

Duane    (06)

*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_magnetic_resonance_imaging#Contrast_
MR
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Duane's World TV Show - http://www.duanesworldtv.org/
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury