Re: [ontolog-forum] (no subject)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: svenvanpoucke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:03:18 -0400
I wanted to elaborate Pat's comment:    (01)

PH> COE does not have the capability to transform any arbitrary
 > Cmap into OWL, but we think it is a useful first step.    (02)

Alan Perlis once remarked that it is impossible to translate
an informal representation to a formal representation by
any formal algorithm.    (03)

Concept maps were originally designed as an informal notation
used in education.   COE implements a highly disciplined
(i.e., formalized) version of Cmaps that can be automatically
translated to OWL (a formally defined language).    (04)

On the other hand, informal Cmaps can be a useful intermediate
stage in a human-assisted translation to a more formal notation.
Following is a talk that discusses the issues about relating
informal concept maps to Common Logic:    (05)

    http://jfsowa.com/talks/cmapping.pdf
    Concept Mapping    (06)

And following is another talk that discusses the use of
Common Logic in the medical domain:    (07)

    http://jfsowa.com/talks/cl_hitps.pdf
    Common Logic for Healthcare Information Technology    (08)

John Sowa    (09)