Re: [ontolog-forum] What is"understanding"

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Len Yabloko" <lenya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 14:36:16 +0000
John, Pat and Sergei    (01)

>Pat,
>
>I think we've exhausted this topic.
>
>John
>    (02)

Can you at least (and at last) agree that learning from text or any other form
of NL is not a most promising approach to knowledge acquisition. From my point
of view the problem with bootstrapping knowledge acquisition from foundational
effort of "experts" (no matter how many and how long) is that it is top-down.
Why not consider bottom-up approaches where human consumer of knowledge is a
main contributor, combined with ranking of each contributor based on usefulness
of contribution, and with consistency checking and aggregation of content. I
think something like that is already under way at www.freebase.com.    (03)

And may I remind you that this topic spawned from "building on common ground".
May be it is time to return to original topic?    (04)