Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:48:20 -0400
John,
   This thread started with Ed Barkmeyer's comment (3-5-08) that he thought
that at least 90% commonality of ontologies was required for error-free
communication.  My comment was that I thought that over 99.9% was required,
and that the mental ontologies of **basic concepts** that people associate
with their basic vocabulary of words are that close.  Pat Hayes dismisses
that notion.    (01)

   One difficulty in this discussion is in trying to decide what qualifies
as an "ontology" that people use in their reasoning processes.  Obviously it
must bear only a vague resemblance to the formal ontologies we want to use
for computer reasoning.  I also agree with your comments that spatial
representation and reasoning (direct or by analogy) form a large part of
human understanding - I yearn for a good public ontology with spatial
reasoning that is as effective as what is used in games and virtual reality
programs.  But Pat Hayes doesn't even seem to think that the reasoning the
brain does when interpreting language can be properly called "inferencing".
In several emails I have been frustrated in failing to find any common
ground whatever with PatH on which we can start to discuss the topic
productively.  You can see that in the previous posts in this thread.    (02)

   The reason I think this is an important issue is because, if we do share
a fairly close common *mental* ontology of basic concepts (up to a few
thousand perhaps), then coming to agreement on a formalization of that basic
ontology could be a very useful step in finding a method for accurate
semantic interoperability.  I call that possible foundation ontology the
"Conceptual Defining vocabulary" by analogy with the linguistic defining
vocabulary used in Longman's and some other dictionaries.  ("defining' is an
analogy -  in the ontology most types will only have necessary conditions
for membership specified).  But, as I mention repeatedly, this is a
hypothesis (based on what I perceive to be highly accurate communication
when people make an attempt to explain things, using the basic terms) that
requires experimental verification; and in view of the benefits if it is
true, the effort of attempting to verify this is well justified. But as best
I can tell from PatH's comments, he thinks this is so obviously nonsensical
that it is not worth any serious discussion, let alone real investigation.    (03)

    We all know how difficult it is for ontologists who already have their
own preferred formalizations to come to agreement when that would require a
change in how they represent things.  But the methodologies that have been
used for such efforts does not, in my opinion actually test the "conceptual
defining vocabulary" hypothesis.  I think a real test would be possible,
provided that those participating agreed to certain ground rules ahead of
time.  I do not know in any detail what kind of discussions were conducted
when developing ontologies at Cyc, though PatH's description of one case
makes me think that they were getting mired (at some points) in what I would
consider terminology issues.  I have a better understanding of what happened
with the IEEE-SUO effort, and know that (1) there were no ground rules
agreed on by the SUO group; the approach chosen by Teknowledge avoided any
redundancy; (2) there was a strong feeling that issues should be resolved by
consensus rather than voting - which I think will kill any such project
unless other conditions (not present in IEEE-SUO) were agreed to in advance;
(3) there was no funding for anyone outside of Teknowledge.  I am sure we
can do much better than that - if there were adequate funding.    (04)

   The other issue, which you have previously raised and PatH alludes to
with comments about Cyc's ontology - is whether even succeeding in
developing such a common foundation ontology would provide us with an
artifact that would be useful.  My strong feeling that it would is based on
the anticipated benefits of a greatly increased ability to share results of
reasoning using the same ontology.  I think this would dramatically increase
the rate at which reusable reasoning modules could be developed and shared.
I believe that only a community much larger than the Cyc team will be able
to develop reasoning techniques to take effectively advantage of the
knowledge in a large ontology, and that such a community could function
effectively and reuse results efficiently if they did share the common
foundation ontology.  The point of investigating the "Conceptual Defining
vocabulary" hypothesis is that evidence for the feasibility of such a tactic
could encourage some agency to provide adequate funding for the actual
common foundation ontology development project.    (05)

   I also agree that analogical reasoning and case-based reasoning are
powerful tools, but that they would be even more powerful when linked to a
common foundation ontology.  I believe that the development of those
analogical and case-based tools would also benefit from increased sharing
and reuse within the research community if the knowledge resulting from such
reasoning were also represented in the common form enabled by a common
foundation ontology.    (06)

PatC    (07)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.