Re: [ontolog-forum] Finitism vs. Transfinitism

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Avril Styrman <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:24:48 +0200
Bill,    (01)

potential infinity is Aristotle's idea, or I'm not aware of
any earlier theories that are similar. As is generally known,
Aristotle’s writings leave a lot of space for interpretation,
but the idea of potential infinity is quite clear.    (02)

The problem is, that we cannot have a never ending totality,
but we don't want to be constrained into some fixed finite
limit either, such as 10 in the power of million.
Aristotle's solution is an arbiter between a fixed finite
limit and transfinity.    (03)

        But on the other hand to suppose that the infinite
        does not exist in any way leads obviously to many
        impossible consequences: there will be a beginning and
        end of time, a magnitude will not be divisible into
        magnitudes, number [e.g the number of years in the
        past] will not be infinite. If, then, in view of the
        above considerations, neither alternative seems
        possible, an arbiter must be called in; and clearly
        there is a sense in which the infinite exists and
        another in which it does not. We must keep in mind
        that the word ’is’ means either what potentially
        potentially is or what fully is. Further, a thing is
        infinite either by addition or by division. Now, as we
        have seen, magnitude is not actually infinite. But by
        division it is infinite. (There is no difficulty in
        refuting the theory of indivisible lines) The
        alternative then remains that the infinite has
        potential existence. But the phrase ’potential
        existence’ is ambiguous. When we speak of the
        potential existence of a statue we mean that there
        will be an actual statue. It is not so with infinite.
        There will not be an actual infinite.    (04)

        ...    (05)

        For generally the [potential] infinite has this mode
        of existence: one thing is always being taken after
        another, and each thing that is taken is always finite,
        but always different. Physics, book 3, chapter 6.    (06)

        But the infinite does not exist potentially in the
        sense that it will ever actually have separate existence;
        it exists potentially only for knowledge. For the fact
        that the process of dividing never comes to and end
        ensures that this activity exists potentially, but not
        that the infinite exists separately.
        Metaphysics, book 9, chapter 6.    (07)

Everything that is potential will one day be actual for Aristotle,
except for potential infinity. He seemed to have the picture that
matter is potentially infinitely divisibe: a rock could be divided
without a limit. Many of his ideas are out of date today, such as
the conception that the Universe circulates Earth, but nobody's
perfect: we have to apply those of his ideas that are still valid
and applicable. This is anyhow is the case in science in general.    (08)

Simply, we can always take more and more. After 1 we can take 2,
after 2 we can take 3, and so forth, but the act of taking
limits the series to be always finite. In other words, if a
series exists, we have to construct it in a finite number of
steps. We can have as big numbers as we can type, but they are
always finite. This is why potential infinity can in one sense
be reduced into finitism.     (09)

When transfinities are axiomatically postulated, a game can be
played with them, similarly as chess can be played, even when
it is postulated that the Queen is transfinite.     (010)

        Our account does not rob mathematicians of their
        science, by disproving the actual existence of the
        infinite in the direction of increase, in the sense
        of the untraversable. In point of fact they do not
        need the infinite and do not use it.
        Physics, book 3, chapter 7.    (011)

        To rely only on mere thinking is absurd, for then
        the excess or defect is not in the thing but in the
        thought. One might think that one of us is bigger than
        he is and magnify him ad infimum. But it does not
        follow that he is bigger than the we are, just because
        some one thinks he is, but only because he is the size
        he is. The thought is an accident.
        Physics [2] book 3, chapter 8.    (012)

cheers,    (013)

Avril    (014)