Re: [ontolog-forum] Time representation

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:32:24 -0000
From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Pat Hayes
<snip>
[PC] > >  (3) two time intervals closed at the adjoining ends both overlap
and
> meet (I think this is not permitted in Allen's algebra)

[PH] > Right, it is not. This would wreck all the
> algebraic time-interval reasoners. Why do you
> want to do this?

I would rather modify the reasoners

I should perhaps have said all the algebraic time *ontologies*. Its not primarily a point about the efficiency of reasoning. (But in any case, that is easy to say, but not nearly so easy to do when the underlying algebra has 4 times as many generators, as it will have in your case.)
MW: Well since algebras have come up, I think I should mention a contribution John Stell and I made:

Which is essentially a 4D time algebra.

Regards

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/