Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is t

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 19:22:53 -0500
Paola, Antoinette, and Kathy,    (01)

I support Kathy's explanation.    (02)

The only sentence I would delete is the following:    (03)

 > So this storytelling thing is just a meaningless game.    (04)

I agree with Pat and Kathy that the fundamental science is in
the mathematics.  And for quantum mechanics, the mathematics
has made extremely accurate predictions for over 80 years.    (05)

But I wouldn't dismiss the various interpretations as "meaningless"
because they strongly influence the experiments that scientists
and engineers perform in order to develop the science further
and use it for practical applications.    (06)

However, I would emphasize that any interpretations or "stories"
any scientist proposes *must* be compatible with the math.
Any stories that are not compatible with the math are worse than
meaningless -- they are just wrong.    (07)

Bottom line:  You can't make up stories unless you understand
the science -- and that implies you must study the mathematics.    (08)