[ontolog-forum] Proceedings: Ontolog invited Speaker - Professor Mark Mu

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 07:20:35 -0800
We had, on Thursday 06-December-2007, another one of our best attended
virtual sessions. Professor Mark Musen, Head of the Stanford Center
for Biomedical Informatics Research (formerly Stanford Medical
Informatics) and Principal Investigator of the National Center for
Biomedical Ontology (NCBO) research consortium, presented a talk on
the NCBO and its BioPortal initiative, entitled: "If we build it, will
they come? Social-engineering of new technology to disseminate
biomedical ontologies."    (01)

Professor Musen shared with us the status, as well as the vision of
the NCBO initiative. The BioPortal is designed to serve as an
experiment to tackle both the technology and sociology problems
associated with disseminating, aligning and assuring the quality of
biomedical information and knowledge being shared. Asserting that
'real' ontologies exist and are being developed in a 'non-ideal' world
that we all live in, he called upon the community to join him and his
colleagues to collectively make the BioPortal into a successful
resource for everyone.    (02)

Thank you, Mark, for doing this talk, and for sharing your insights
with us. Thanks to Barry, again, for making this happen. And as
always, our appreciations go out to all who joined us at the event;
especially for their contributions to the rich discussion we had
during the last segment of the session.    (03)

Proceedings of the session are captured on our wiki page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_12_06    (04)

In particular, full audio recording of the session (as well as the
podcast of it) is now available - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_12_06#nid1616    (05)

... This contribution from Professor Musen and the NCBO / BioPortal
folks, adds yet another valuable piece to the body of knowledge on
ontology and ontological engineering that our community is building
together. Thank you again, Mark, and everyone!    (06)

Best regards. =ppy    (07)

P.S. as announced earlier, the second episode of the ongoing
NASA-Ontolog-KMWG "Ontology in Knowledge Management and Decision
Support (OKMDS)" mini-series is coming up next Thursday (13-Dec-2007).
Register your now (if you haven't already done so).
See details at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_12_13    (08)

Watch our [ontolog-invitation] list for further announcements of
Ontolog events that may be of interest, or browse the listing under
the "News & Announcements" section at our Ontolog WikiHomePage (at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW ) for our
upcoming events.    (09)

An archive of noteworthy past Ontolog events can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (010)

Tx. =ppy
--     (011)