Re: [ontolog-forum] Triadic Continuum

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Michael Belanger <mpbelanger@xxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:55:38 -0500
On inspection, this looks to be purely a data structure description, i.e., on the order of tries and linked lists, rather than a significant rendition of Peirce's conceptual notion. And it looks like it addresses primarily ways to link sequences, mainly sequences of character data, into a graph structure that minimizes structuring/representation of tokens.  That in itself could be good, if in fact it is better than tries.

I had to poke around to find any accessible paper, but the following paper turned up, which had the most information that I could find on the topic:

"The Potential for Recognizing Errors in a Dataset Using a Computer Memory Resident Data Structure Based on the Phaneron of C. S. Peirce." Jane Campbell Mazzagatt. http://www.error06.econ.vt.edu/Mazzagatti.doc

The examples given in this paper are word and phrase sequences of characters, i.e., character sequences constituting words and then those word-sequences constituting sentence sequences, and apparently so forth upward. However, there is no notion of semantics at all: it is purely a syntactic data structure. To think that syntactic sequences will somehow lead to a schema-less and semantics-free data modeling capability seems to me naive. Also, I don't understand the paper's notion of "variable". What kind of variable is this?

I think this is possibly a useful data structure for representing uninterpreted (syntactic) data, and only that.

Does anyone think that the third (interpretant) is really anything like the interpretation of the sign? I think this is mumbo-jumbo utilizing the phraseology of Peirce. What can one make of the following, for example:

"To make the discussion less abstract the symbols from the alphabet are used as the initial SIGN-nodes or sensors and diagrammed as events from the text universe."  There is a lot of quoting from Peirce, but as always, such implicit appeals to authority find short-shrift in this forum -- or at least, I hope they do.

But I invite folks to weigh in on this topic. Perhaps you see more than I do. Please do correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation. Is there any semantic value in this?

Also, it scares me that this data structure has been patented.

My initial interpretation: this is hogwash if it is promoted more than the syntactic data structure that it is.

Thanks,

Leo

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Information Discovery & Understanding, Command and Control Center
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA