[ontolog-forum] Proceedings: Ontolog invited Speaker session - Dr. Timot

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:46:13 -0700
On Thursday 11-October-2007, we had another very well attended
virtual session, where Dr. Timothy Redmond from the Stanford
Center for Biomedical Informatics Research (BMIR) Protege project
team and Mr. Peter Yim of CIM3 presented, respectively, on their
jointly offered "CODS - Collaborative Ontology Development
Service and Infrastructure" and on "Distributed Ontology
Development with Protege," as the second episode to a 2-part
session on "Distributed Collaboration in Ontology Development
with Protege." Ontolog co-convener, Mr. Kurt Conrad chaired the
session, and Professor Mark Musen, head of Stanford BMIR was with
us to introduce the speakers.    (01)

Mr. Yim provided details on the infrastructure on which CODS is
hosted. Dr. Redmond delved into some of the intricacies of the
Protege Server, and shared with the community his insights into
distributed ontology development using the Protege Client/Server
mode. On the occasion, the CODS service and infrastructure was
offered to the Ontolog and Protege communities, and members of
the community are invited to run their open collaborative
ontology development projects on it.    (02)

Three specific open solicitations were made:    (03)

(i)  members with open projects to run on CODS are welcomed to
contact Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> (to get their projects
started) and to sign up for the newly created [cods-user] mailing
list.    (04)

(ii) a small team of CODS-administrators needs to be formed, and
volunteers are solicited. Anyone interested should also e-mail
<peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>.    (05)

(iii) it has been observed that an improved infrastructure for
open public ontology repository and registry is need, for the
industry at large. Our plan is to gather enough interest and
support so that a world-class infrastructure can be put together
collaboratively by all concerned. Suggestions for candidate
organizations and individuals who could be enlisted to form an
organizing committee for this initiative are welcomed.    (06)

Again, thank you, Dr. Redmond, Mr. Yim, Professor Musen and Mr.
Conrad for another very informative Ontolog session.  And, as
always, our appreciations go out to all who joined us at the
event; especially for their contributions to the rich discussion
we had during the last segment of the session.    (07)

Proceedings of the session are captured on our wiki page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_10_11    (08)

In particular, full audio recording of the session, as well as
the podcast of it, is now available - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_10_11#nid14F0     (09)

... This event contributes to yet another useful piece to the
body of knowledge on ontology and ontological engineering that
our community is building together. Thank you again, Dr. Timothy
Redmond and everyone!    (010)

Best regards. =ppy    (011)

P.S.    (012)

* Thursday, 18-Oct-2007 - Dr. Matthew West and Dr. Leo Obrst will
be presenting the 11th session in the "Database And Ontology"
series - Dr. Zhe (Alan) Wu a Principal Member of Technical Staff
from Oracle will be our invited speaker. This is the second of
the two-part presentation from Oracle, during which our speaker
will focus on Oracle's OWL implementations. Dr. Wu's talk is
entitled: "A Scalable RDBMS-Based Inference Engine for RDFS/OWL."
Register your attendance (by emailing <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>) if
you haven't already. Please refer to details at the session wiki
page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2007_10_18    (013)

* Watch our [ontolog-invitation] list for further
announcements of Ontolog events that may be of interest, or
browse the listing under the "News & Announcements" section at
our Ontolog WikiHomePage (at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW ) for
our upcoming events.    (014)

* An archive of noteworthy past Ontolog events can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (015)

Tx. =ppy
--     (016)