Re: [ontolog-forum] ontology review

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:44:19 +0700
Thanks Azamat -  and thanks to all whose work is made available for
review and inclusion (apols if I have left something out  or
oversimplified some issues. mission is try to make all the brilliant
knowledge generated by research useful and applicable by those who run
operations without overdiluting). Mealy's is one of the early
references in modern ontology I think, somehow the source of ideas get
buried as other people get attribution    (01)

My task was just to read (and read, and read) everybody's work and
plot the different views to fit together nicely - Its an ongoing
journey of discovery, and I am working on future chapters, so please
send in further pointers and suggestions so that I may be able to
address in the next cycle.    (02)

Also, it is not open content as such, but  should anyone be interested
in receiving  a copy,  I can share access, so drop me an email    (03)

A picture of the framework and the contribution of this community in
fact open the paper, so thanks for that    (04)

PDM    (05)

On 10/11/07, Azamat <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> FW: Semantic Technologies and Applications in the Federal GovernmentDear
> Paola,
>
>   Enjoy reading your excellent article: Ontology: Making the Business Case,
>   http://www.cutter.com/bia.html. A long while could not read such a quality
>   review about ontology and its engineering applications. Among other
> things, i like your bringing up Mealy's position on the role of ontology
> (made in 1967!) that in data pocessing there are three main aspects:
>   the real world itself;
>   ideas about the world;
>   symbols on some storage media.
>
>   Outstanding achievement. Thanks a lot.
>   wish new successes,
>   Azamat
>
>   PS: contents
>   information ket to intelligence;
>   what is ontology (boundaries, defining ontology);
>   the business case for ontology (business, ontology, and transformation;
> data mining; transaction processing; costing; evaluation) ;
>   ontology lifecycle and artifacts (management phase; implementation phase);
>   ontology engineering and methodologies (ontology matching; ontology versus
> other representation models; ontology defintion metamodel and model-driven
> engineering);
>   ontology and the organization (semantic and concepual consistency within
> the organization; possible ontologies, open worlds, and collaboration;
> collaborative and modular ontologies; consensus building )

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th