Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@xxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:30:27 -0500
>Barry and Pat,
>
>>   >>>  I just choose (like driving on the left). I choose to distinguish

>>>I think we need to test this empirically. So far we are winning --
>>   >the GO is, by several measures,the world's most successful ontology.
>>
>>Ah, that is more like it. I agree you are winning. And it is
>>refreshing to see philosophical arguments replaced by straightforward
>>appeals to power and funding. As I have no funds to compete with, you
>>will no doubt go on winning :-)
>
>I hope you boys have fun slugging it out on the playground.  :-)    (01)

Yeh, Im sorry about the slightly bilious tone there. I suffer from
philosophy reflux syndrome.    (02)

>  In
>the meantime, people are going to build ontologies, and they are
>going to look to us for leadership on how to do it.  Barry's legions
>are busy building them with continuants and occurants.  Pat doesn't
>have any funding, he says.  So he can't amass legions who will build
>ontologies with spatiotemporal processes.  Alas.  But no doubt
>someone will read his posts, and with dreams of matching Barry's
>glory, start amassing armies to build them with spatiotemporal
>processes.  Then, some day, somebody is going to have an urgently
>important problem that requires these ontologies to interoperate.    (03)

I don't think that will be much of a problem, most of the time.
Translating from c/o to spatiotemporal is really not much more than
judicious deletion. Translating in the other direction will require
some pattern-recognition to 'see' c- and o-type formulations, and
maybe in some cases splitting a concept into a continuant and its
lifetime (which are identified in spatiotemporal).    (04)

I would say, in passing, that my views on this issue have been
informed in large part by  trying to create useful interoperation
between a number of different ontologies.    (05)

Pat
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)