Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological Assumptions of FOL

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:42:00 +0100
Pat Hayes schrieb:
>> My point is rather that if you think a little more in tune
>> with common sense, classical physics, and molecular biology (which I
>> think is much more relevant for today's information sciences than GR)
>
> Agreed.
>
>> then it seems natural to regard property instances as being
>> spatiotemporally located without regarding them as in themselves being
>> physical entities.
>
> But with the greatest respect, this is a particular view. Others take
> the view that properties and their instances are never themselves
> located, even though the individuals to which they apply may be. I
> don't mean to start a debate here, only to indicate that one should
> not expect to find a universally agreed consensus on this.    (01)

Give me a reference to one paper or book written by a philosopher who
(a) is interested in philosophical ontology, and (b) has a position at a
Western philosophy department, and (c) claims that property instances
*cannot* be locted in space and time.    (02)

/Ingvar J    (03)

--
Ingvar Johansson
IFOMIS, Saarland University