[ontolog-forum] Steve's footnote [was - Fwd: The Relation Between Logic

To: "Steve Newcomb" <srn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 07:47:47 -0800
Well said, Steve.    (01)

Please do not equate my request to some form of 'suppression of free
speech'. Feel free to say what you want, as I felt free to make my
request.    (02)

As a co-convener of the forum, though, I just felt the urge to make
sure we stay relevant.    (03)

So, ...    (04)

> [SN] does this forum seek to support communication between
> diverse, free people, or does it serve some other purpose, to the
> exclusion of the former?    (05)

[ppy] sure it does ... (and I am personally ALL FOR IT myself, too!)    (06)

> [SN]   If the answer is "other", that's fine, but what
> is this forum's purpose?    (07)

[ppy]  While the answer is not the "other," I'd still like to
reiterate the purpose of this forum ... which is documented in our
charter (ref: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB)
which states:    (08)

//
Ontolog is an open, international, virtual community of practice,
whose membership will:    (09)

    * Discuss practical issues and strategies associated with the
development and application of both formal and informal ontologies.    (010)

    * Identify ontological engineering approaches that might be
applied to the UBL effort, as well as to the broader domain of
eBusiness standardization efforts.    (011)

    * Strive to advance the field of ontological engineering and
semantic technologies, and to help move them into main stream
applications.
//    (012)

... my request, again, is that we all make our best attempts to stay
relevant, in our discourse, to that charter (or propose a change in
the charter, if it start to be irrelevant.)    (013)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy    (014)

Peter Yim
Co-convener, Ontolog
--    (015)