Re: [ontolog-forum] tasteful tags...

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 08:42:09 -0800
I think that the curators of dictionaries are becoming less relevant as the
internet is merging our culture at am alarmingly faster rate.  Words like
"blog" would have taken a decade to make it into websters before the
internet.  In less than a year, it went from an obscure
concatenation/contraction to being used by CEO's addressing the press.
Surely such a pattern of rapid adoption changes everything.    (01)

There are also several new ways of visualizing this.  Some of my favorites
are the tag gardens.  James Governor of Redmonk (who I personally consider
to be a genius on this topic) has a concept of tag gardening which is highly
relevant.
http://redmonk.com/jgovernor/2006/01/10/on-the-emergence-of-professional-tag
-gardeners/    (02)

Here are some example of visualizing popular words with something called a
tag cloud (which itself is a relatively new term):
http://www.petefreitag.com/tags/
http://www.petefreitag.com/item/396.cfm    (03)

Tag clouds IMO are great ways to track usage of terms.  What interests me is
the possibility of true semantics being inferred by watching the
interactions between the entities using the tags and the resource itself.    (04)

When professional tag gardeners start using these, we will see some real
time growth in use of terminology.    (05)

Duane    (06)

On 3/9/07 5:56 AM, "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (07)

> Do you see authorized editors as terminology curators then -
> selecting and establishing purer, less contraversial language able to
> run smoothly in overviews? If so, this is not the same work or
> documentation problem as battling out definitions on the front lines.
>
> Debbie MacPherson
>

> On 3/9/07, paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Peter, JOhn
>>
>> me too would disagree with such statement.
>> (that the distinction between personal and shared sematic space is not
>> useful)
>>
>> I do however tend to read it more as an attempt to 'defend' an
>> original legitimate or commonly accepted
>> meaning from dilution, hybridization or entirely arbitrary usage which
>> in terms of information communication is rather dangerous
>>
>> I do believe that original meanings of words are actually rather
>> sacred, and should be preserved. Also unfortunately 'standard'
>> languge' often flattens and deletes linguistic depth, so I am also
>> cautious about 'commonly accepted usage' (most of people are not that
>> literate and ignore etymological and semantic origins of words)
>>
>>  However I dont think this has anything to do with 'tagging' per se
>>
>> Taggin is a semantic technique to create an 'association' between
>> terms and concepts.
>>
>> It is highly legitimate to create as many semantic associations as
>> individuals see fit for personal use This does not affect nor change
>> the primitive meaning or accepted usage of a term.
>>
>> If in the system we want to preserve canonical semantic associations,
>> for example
>> tag a word with its synonyms, or follow a prescribed taxonomy
>> we should use 'metadata', which is a kind of default tag assigned to
>> an object by an authorized editor.
>>
>> A 'folkstonomy' type of tag is nothing but an additional layer of
>> metadata that is created
>> using unstructured, casual and subjective criteria. In fact I agree
>> that a lot of the tags per se are useful only to their creator, but I
>> am excited by the prospect of exploring the new dimensions created by
>> people, cause the extemporary chaotic semantic structures that emerge
>> contain some kind of knowledge, although we may not be able to use
>> that yet.
>>
>> The burden of creating semantic 'order' when using tags is not placed
>> upon the creator of such association, who is not bound to follow any
>> logical rule,  but upon the user of the tag. By navigating and
>> searching tag libraries, a user can simply explore sets of
>> associations as devised by other individuals, and possibly discover
>> new dimensions. The user can also narrow down the search or
>> application of a tag to the most conventional ones, or simply search
>> 'metadata'. and classify the word according to the taxonomy of choice.
>> (provided the system has been designed intelligently)
>>
>> I dont think we should be afraid of new dimensions, provided we can
>> integrated them with
> [...]

Sr. Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.           *
Chair - OASIS SOA Reference Model Technical Committee    *
Blog: http://technoracle.blogspot.com                    *
Music: http://www.mix2r.com/audio/by/artist/duane_nickull*